Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sky Rangers Workshop - September 26, 2011

Sky Rangers Outdoor Astronomy Interpretation Workshop
Acadia National Park, Maine
September 25 - 29, 2011
 

Sonya Berger - NPS Ranger
  Getting Started: Welcome to Acadia

Our Place in Space Scale Models
-Pocket Solar System
-Our Place in our Galaxy

Planispheres
-Celestial Motion
 
 Intro to Optics

Our Place in Space Scale Models
-A Universe of Galaxies

Interpretation at the Telescope

Modeling Good Practices
-Interpretive Talk: Astronomy in the National Parks
-Andromeda Drama
-Sky Orientation with Naked Eye & Telescope Viewing

Anna Hurst Schmitt, Robert Sparks & Kevin Poe

Our Place in Space Scale Models - Marni Berendsen




Marni Berendsen
Marni Berendsen is with the Astronomical Society of the Pacific. "I'll have the pleasure of sharing many of the activities and resources we have developed for the NASA Night Sky Network (NSN) and for AfGU.
 
I've been with the ASP for almost ten years as the education lead developer for the NSN program and ToolKits. I have been interested in astronomy since childhood when my mother first introduced me to the night sky in Girl Scouts, using star maps she made in the early 1930's. Those maps now hang on my office wall."


Celestial Motion - Chad Moore





Chad Moore - Instructor & Telescope Coach
Chad Moore has been serving as the National Park Service Night Skies Team leader for 11 years. This is my third orbit with the Sky Rangers class, and prior to that the NPS held a similar course where I was an instructor. I'm also a longtime amateur astronomer.

For my part, I am charged with protecting dark skies and natural darkness in all national parks. Having an understanding, inspired, and educated public is essential in curtailing light pollution and maintaining this window to the universe that has become so rare. So I look at you all— interpreters, naturalists, and amateur astronomers— as a "restoration army." I'd like to provide you the tools and skills to communicate to the public about the plight of dark skies, make them care, and inspire them to make positive changes 

Marni Berendsen & Laurel Ladwig





Planispheres - Anna Hurst Schmitt



 Introduction to Optics
Robert Sparks

"I work at the National Optical Astronomy Observatory (better known as the people who run Kitt Peak) in Tucson.I work in the Education and Public Outreach group on a wide variety of programs including the Galileoscope. I have a lot of background in telescopes and optics. I will be talking about the optics of telescopes at the workshop and am also one of the telescope coaches.

I am a big proponent of scientific literacy and my areas are physics and astronomy. Carl Sagan and I agree we have a problem: "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."



















Robert Sparks with Galileoscope
Our Place in Space - A Universe of Galaxies

Chad Moore & Anna Hurst Schmitt

 Interpretation at the Telescope - Kevin Poe

My name is Kevin Poe. I lead a small cadre of park ranger/astronomers at Bryce Canyon National Park in Southern Utah. Each year we present over 100 astronomy presentations / public stargazing to a ever growing annual total of 35,000 people. Our attendees come from all over the globe (60% from outside of the U.S.) filling the experience spectrum from people who can't articulate the difference between astrology and astronomy, to astrophysicists who just want to get the big picture perspective of seeing the night sky splendor of America's last grand sanctuary of natural darkness -- 7.4 limiting eye magnitude sky!  We pride ourselves in high volume, high impact, interpretation at our telescopes, preceded by thrilling and educational powerpoint presentations.

Our efforts to advance the science of astronomy and champion the preservation of natural darkness has earned us the catchy play-on-words label "Dark Rangers." We have managed to not only draw the attention of the International Dark Sky Association (Former Bryce Canyon Dark Ranger Angela Richman sits on their Dark Sky Designation Committee), but the International Astronomy Union has also endorsed our efforts by renaming the asteroid formerly known as 49272 to "Bryce Canyon."

If you are ever in Southern Utah please stop by and say hi!  Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights (May - October) are astronomy nights at Bryce Canyon!



Interpretive Talk
Astronomy in the National Parks
 Tyler Nordgren

I'm an astronomer at the University of Redlands in California. For the last five years I've been working with the National Park Service on ways to increase astronomy awareness and education in parks using the dark night skies and the wonderful geology and history that the parks protect by day. I spent a year on sabbatical from my university traveling through the national park system working with rangers and park visitors developing material to help bring the latest astronomical discoveries to the public using the wonderful hand-on and "eyes-on" opportunities the parks provide. I got started on this course of outreach thanks to an evening ranger program like many of you probably give.
 
One of my big goals in my science outreach is showing people how astronomy is all around them. While a dark night sky is the best doorway into the universe, like Carl Sagan demonstrated in his Cosmos series over 30 years ago, astronomy is also an integral part of the world around us, our history, and our culture.
Tyler Nordgren
Anna Hurst Schmitt
Kevin Poe
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!