Thursday, August 18, 2011

Vanderbilt Planetarium: Ken Spencer - "Sketching the Messier Objects"

On August 10th Ken Spencer did a program on "Sketching the Messier Objects at the Vanderbilt Planetarium in Centerport, NY. Ken says, "For years I had thought of doing some astronomical sketching and made a couple of fits and starts. But it was Tom Pennino's pursuit of the Messier Challenge from the Astronomical League that got me going.  I decided that I wanted to do more than observe and describe the objects - I am determined to sketch them all, which will take a fair amount of time.  Notice I say "sketching" and not "drawing." There is a difference, and I will talk about that, and the tools needed and the techniques, and show some of my finished scribblings".

Ken Spencer's image of a sketch of what was seen through the telescope.

Another artists rendering of a sun spot through a Solar Scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!